Thursday, August 9, 2007

Hey, So Just what is the Slam?

I was looking at a comment from my great friend Steve Davis. He'd seen an article in Running Times about the slam. Seems that the Grand Slam is kind of a mystery even to Running Times, so let me fill yall in on the pacifics (spelled incorrectly.)

1- Not just anyone can enter. You have to qualify for and be accepted into each of the 4 races that make up the Slam.
2- Just qualifying and sending in an application are not enough to get you entered. Two of the four races choose entrants via lottery.
3- Here are the four races and when they occur
Race 1- June 28, 2008, The Western States Endurance Run. This race starts in Squaw Valley, Ca and end in Auburn, CA. These cities are about 80 miles apart via car, so you can't really just go out there alone, you have to coordinate with someone, or be a really good hitchhiker. Finish rate: 60 %, Florida finishers this year- 2 of 7. Under 24 hours 0.

Entering: First you must qualify for this race either by completing a certified 100 mile event or by running an age-graduated time in a 50 mile event. Second, you must have $250- $300 for the entry fee. Third, you have to pray that you get picked in the lottery. About 1200 people apply and they choose 400, a 33% chance. I ran this race in 2005, but my application was not chosen in 2006 or 2007. So how come I think I'm running the grand slam in 2008? Two-Time Losers who have qualified, applied and been denied are guaranteed a slot on the third consecutive year in which they qualify and apply. I have already qualified for the 2008 race, provided my check doesn't bounce I'm in Western States!

Race 2- July 19, 2008, The Vermont 100. This is the "easiest" of the four. This year's finish rate was 71%. Florida Finish rate: 2- 5

Entering: There are no special qualifications and normally they do not sell out. I will enter early just to be sure. Entry fee is $200, but entry fee is waived for those who collect $400 for their charity, Vermont Adaptive Ski and Sports. I have done this on 2 of my four trips there.

Race 3-August 16, 2008, The Leadville 100. This race in the Colorado Mountains is the one that really worries me, because the entire race is run at altitude over 9000 Ft, with a peak over 12,000. I have only run one race at altitude, and I did not fair well. I did poorly! But, I will be trim, and I will run hills and I will pray! The finish rate here is dismal, of 450 entrants in 2006, only 199, 44%, finished. As for Florida, only 1 of 4 finished, and he, Steven Schwer, a great runner, with only 20 minutes to spare! If I can get by this one....
Entering- No limit, must enter by May 31. Entry fee $200.

Race 4- September 6, 2008, The Wasatch Front 100. The WF 100 is staged in Utah's Wasatch Mountain Range. It is brutally hard, but it has a 36 hour cutoff time. It'll be tough, but if I make it to the start..... Finish rate 68%. NO ONE from Florida finished this race last year! Oh, that's encouraging!!!!
Entering- They choose only 220 from a lottery. Those that applied on time and have finished the previous 3 grand slam races do get consideration if they don't get chosen in the first lottery. This will come into play in about 4 cases.

Traditionally the finish rate for slammers is around 30%. 4 races in fewer than 4 months. California, Vermont, Colorado and Utah, just right for a Florida boy.

Hey, am I in for a treat of what? I'll be looking for pacers. Chris, Jon, Candi, Mischa, Deborah, Woody, Dan, Becky, Chaser, how about it gang, it'll be a stone groove!

7 comments:

Arlene said...

Forgive my ignorance, but I didn't know that you had to "qualify" to run Western States. I thought that just "surviving" a 100-miler would "qualify" you.

We already know that you are a "certified" loony for running 100 miles! :)

Rebekx said...

hey, I am thinking Mt Ascutny again next summer..and I will be right behind you :) it is a race that must be done...
in the mean time...I will be glad to make sure you get your hiney to the gym or swim (great cross training..) and lets face it, who really helped you with the self discipline to qualify for Boston?? hee hee

superdave524 said...

Cross-train? Z'at like a seminary? Shoot, anytime I gotta train, I'm cross.

GatorFan said...

I think AndyMan would rather cross-dress than cross-train. Oops, the dirty little secret is out.

Mr. Matt said...

Well, Gee, one at a time: Yes Arlene, you have qualify, but you can do that by surviving a "lesser" 100 Mile (king of like surviving a lesser killing I think)

Becky, without our work at PVMS and the Shadecrest repeater loop I doubt that I would have qualified for Boston.

Dave, Different kind of cross.

Steve, I look lousy in drag.

Glad I could educate you all!

Chase Squires said...

Umm, hate to add some worries ... but Leadville just imposed a limit, they're full this year ...

I thought that guy would accept anyone with a check and a pair of shoes ...

Mr. Matt said...

Oh, that's great! Now, I have to come up with a wad of cash early. And the news just gets better and better! That's ok, my brother is forming a non-profit corportation for me and you can all donate and we'll all get tax breaks, and I'll run races and keep what ever's left of your money and I'll start drinking Venti Vanilla Lattes and, oh, won't it be fun. Rah effing rah!