Thursday, August 9, 2007

Hill of the King

One of the keys to success in my 2006 AT 100 run was my commitment to hill repeats. The repeats weren't much fun, but they work (sorry Becky, I won't make that error of omission again, I hope!).

Ultra runners in mountainous states always ask me, "How do you train for this (pointing at a large landform which ascends thousands of feet, they are called mountains, but Chase knows this) living in Florida?"

Well, how do you drink water if you have no water? You don't! There is no way to adequately train for serious mountains living in Florida, you can't do it. If you don't have water, you can get by on Gatorade, it takes more effort to go out and find it, and pay for it, and it may not be as good, but it'll do.

What I did in getting ready for Arkansas is lots of Hill Kings. I live pretty close to the Martin Luther King Bridge going over the Hillsborough River. This is not a very long bridge, nor is it all that steep, but there is no limit to the number of times one is allowed to run over it, and there is no toll ('cept the one on the body.) Today, I started my hill training with 5 bridge repeats, I call them "Hill Kings." Just before Arkansas this year, I'll get up to about 20 repeats, and no telling before Western States in June, maybe up to 50, maybe 100, I really don't know.

It's a Mountain!

Anyway, come on over and run the King with me, it'll be..... our Gatorade.

4 comments:

GatorFan said...

I was just reading an article from Running Times published online about the grand slam of ultrarunning. It made me think of your poll.

It’s difficult to overemphasize the role luck plays in successfully Grand Slamming. The most critical stumbling block to completing the Grand Slam happens on paper and not on the trails. Each year about 2,000 runners apply to run Western States, and 400 are accepted through a lottery system. No preference is given potential Grand Slammers; with one clean slice, perhaps 80% of potential Slammers are TKOd before the shoes are even laced.

Is this still true?

Mr. Matt said...

This article is wildy inaccurate. First, only about 1200 people apply, the chances of getting chosen in the lottery are about 40%.

Second, like the NY Marathon, they have a two-time loser rule (though I think it is 3 w/NYC), where if you qualify and apply, but fail to get in twice in a row, you are guarenteed a spot the 3rd year. This is why I know I'm in this year, I checked the rule hasn't changed and I've already applied.

Third, Vermont rarely sells out, and if so not till right before the race.

Fourth, Ledville doesn't fill up and you are in as long as you sign up two months ahead.

Fifth, Wasatch, well that's the toughie. In 2005 I wanted to do the Slam, though I had done no research, so I signed up for Western States, I found out I was accepted on Dec. 4. On Jan. 1 I signed up for Vermont. Someone had told me that Leadville always had room, no need to hurry, so I contacted Wasatch (the race is in September in Utah). I figured it's the last one that Jan. 10 would be plenty early. Registration opened on Jan 2, it filled on Jan 3. They also give no preference to slamers, and they have no waiting list.

Wasatch has since changed it's policy. Now you have a one-week window to sign up, then they have a lottery. If you are attempting to slam and you have applied and you are not chosen, IF you finish all 3 of the previous slam events and there is room, they will reconsider your application. So if you have completed the first 3 you are virtually certain to get in. However, of those applying for the first 3 races, about 30% are able to finish all three. Usually that means 10 out of 30.

superdave524 said...

Okay, Steve, still time to change your vote!

Mr. Matt said...

After I read it, I changed my vote!