Thursday, August 23, 2007

Truant or False

You see, I should know better! I am almost 45 years old and I should know that if I don't run first thing in the morning I probably won't run at all. But, I tell myself, yeah well, we all need a day off.... Bullschmitz!
As if I didn't feel bad enough being a slacker my man Woody sends me this report that Davy Crockett (best ultra name since John Muir a 30-Year old MD from Arkansas that ran sub-21 at the AT100) wrote about Leadville. It reads like a well-written how to guide (here is the linK: http://www.crockettclan.org/running/lt100-2007.html ) I read a bit of his other adventures and we have been in the same place several times.

Here's the bad news... In his story Davy Crockett had a Leadville elevation chart (it's an out and back course, so it only covers 50-Miles). I was unable to copy it, so I made a pretty fair replica on paintbrush here it is, it's very accurate:

Anyway, some encouraging news from Mr. Crockett, he finished! And he smashed his goal time. Also, generally we seem to run about the same pace, perhaps, I run a little faster, but he's running tough races and doing a lot of them.

Conclusion, if you guys can just send me a couple of 100-thousand dollars each, I'll move to Colorado and train, and I'll then finish (wait, with that kind of coin, I'm going to start playing golf again, imagine how far I can hit the ball in that altitude..............
AndyMan
Today: Speed work with Cross Country team- Hill Kings! Tonight, 8 at Lake Park
Tomorrow: 6 in the AM

11 comments:

Mr. Matt said...

I don't care who you are, now that's funny! If you can't laugh at that you need to get on up out of here!

Who said it? Seriously, for a lounge suite!

superdave524 said...

Larry the Cable Guy.

Mr. Matt said...

But it is funny! My sister has paintbrush....

Roger Sutton said...

I see that Dave was not nearly as uncomfortable admitting knowledge of Larry the Cable Guy as I was. How about some quotes from well known runners, or golfers. Come'on Andy, make it tougher!

GatorFan said...

You guys have WAY too much time on your hands. And I thought I was the king of slacking off at work. I'm not even in the same league.

Andy, if I run the Indianapolis half-marathon in late October, I don't suppose there's any chance you'd join me, is there?

Mr. Matt said...

Steve, My Brother, I am short like Napoleon (short Dead Dude, Chase knows that one) on money and on time off (Oh, sure, I don't work, but I still have to be here!) I'd love to, I'm cheering for you, but I just can't swing it. Now wasn't there some Indiana or Kentucky trail race in December? If that's while I'm on break.... well, there's a chance.

GatorFan said...

It's in Indiana and it's December 1 this year. Probably too soon for your break and probably too soon for me to seriously consider it. But here's the link to it.
http://www.dinoseries.com/marathon.html

Sounds like a cool race.

If things go according to plan (and when do they?) I might consider the Flying Pig 'thon in the Spring and/or Marine Corp. in the fall of '08.

Anybody interested?
Anybody?
"Bueller?...Bueller?"

Chase Squires said...

To see God from Hope Pass, you gotta look down ... :-)

Seriously, "ran" at 14k this past weekend, gasp. Interesting.

Be excellent to each other.

purplekayaker said...

Whoa! I was paddling along in my purple kayak, when all of a sudden I come ashore in these harsh, scrubby mountains!
These really grungy-looking dudes and gals came straggling up a ridge, all sweaty and bedraggled on a twisting, rocky trail, muttering something about expired Cliff shots and the next aid station.
One said to the other: "Only 88 more miles to go!"
There was nothing more to do but step out of my boat and cheer like mad as they kept slogging up that mountain --- maybe to wear themselves out, maybe to find that aid station, maybe to get a good shot of endorphins,or maybe to touch the face of God.

....You don't know me, but I'm enjoying this blog! This is good stuff! You are an exceptionally funny guy!
See, the support you seek comes from many corners when you're doing something noble! Even from kayakers! Keep on doing what you're doing!

Mr. Matt said...

Kayaker and all,
Hey, wow! We doubled our readership! WE are up to... well, it's nice to be appreciated, by however, many!

Paddle-On!

Chaser, pulling out Bill and Ted on me! I'm teaching a little So-CRATES now, the kids, they're losing Bill and Ted, it's up to me to re-educate them!

superdave524 said...

BTW, AndyMan, you seem to have forgotten your age.