Thursday, September 6, 2007

Pinging away at the Slam!

Queen sings..... And another one's gone, and another one's gone, another one bites the dust. The son of a king, 70-year-old Karsten Solheim Jr., son of the King of all Golf Club makers, Karsten Solheim, lost his quest to become the oldest grand slammer this century when he bowed out at at the 1/2 way point at Leadville.
Karsten Solheim

Those of us who run ultras know Karsten as a mild but shoe leather tough ultra runner. He has finished dozens of 100 milers. He was the last official finisher at this year's Western States, finishing with less than 2 1/2 minutes to spare. He was one of the very last official finishers at Vermont this year. But, he finished, and he finished running. Some ultra runners tend to be a little obsessed with running, with the exception of Roger Sutton and me, very few probably recognized that Karsten Solheim JR is of royal heritage. His dad's Ping clubs did nothing short or revolutionizing golf clubs. The Ping Corporation was at war with the PGA for years. Put very simply, Solheim's clubs were too good, and many of the old-school players objected to their use, due to contractual commitments to use other clubs. Ping won most of the lawsuits making instant multi-millionaires out of the Solheim family.
Like Karsten, Ping uses a solid, technical, game plan.


I was cheering with Karsten. First he's 70. Second he's humble. Third, I love the way the family went up against the "Man" and kicked his arse! I still use a Ping Putter, and believe a better putter than my Ping Eye-Two will never be made.
This is my Ping Putter, and you can't have it!

But darn, as tough as Karsten Solheim is, like a two-dollar steak I tell you, I am telling you, ahmo open up a can of Whoop-Ass on that old slam. I'm gonna dissect it, train for it, and tear into it like a windmill in a hurricane! Let's go out and win one for Karsten!

Today's workout, 6 miles 3 fast with CC team, 8 Hill Kings in the heat, good workout :)
Tomorrow, Gym, 6 miles in the hood.
Saturday, 28 at Croom
Sunday, I don't know.

5 comments:

Chase Squires said...

I had no idea you golfed.

I tried a few times. I prefer sports that don't demand perfection, just "try" ... running is a "try" sport. Run your best, move in that general direction, "try" hard, and you'll ge there.

What's this crap about actually "striking a ball" or "putting this thing in a tiny cup" or "don't take a crap in the sand traps" ... jeeze. All those rules.

Point me toward a place far away, tell me to try my best, and we'll be done with it eventually.

Mr. Matt said...

I'm no Roger Sutton, but I used to play 3 or 4 times a week. 2-hole in ones, played in a league for 12 years, once carried a single-digit handicap (like a 20-Hr 100 miler.) Teaching school is not conducive to the golfing lifestyle, well, I guess there's muni-golf (if you have to ask....)

It's ok that you didn't know, I never knew Karsten ran until I knew.

yanmaneee said...

timberland shoes
calvin klein
curry 6
retro jordans
yeezy
golden goose sneakers
nike air max 95
adidas stan smith
fila
adidas stan smith men

yanmaneee said...

yeezys
yeezy
goyard
yeezy
supreme clothing
balenciaga
golden goose
goyard handbags
golden goose outlet
yeezy shoes

meathen said...

replica bags los angeles replica bags 168 mall replica bags toronto