Monday, February 18, 2008

The Power of 50, no 25, no 10, no One!

While running at the lovely Citrus Tract on Saturday we discovered a few little tidbits about our buddy Jim Sullivan:

* He's a really good runner. * He's run a lot of races. * He's run a lot of races in a lot of places. * He's a great teacher. * He's not, nor has he ever been the model for the Lucky Charms box (so, he tells us, personally, I think that's where he gets his magic, here, you decide)

Ok, how do I know these things? Well, when pressed Jim will share. Don't get me wrong, he's not one of these cats that brags nor does he only pretend to listen, just to wait to talk. But if you ask him he will answer, without bravado, or false modesty. He's a good dude, a real ultra runner. Cat's gotta be doing something right, he's been married for decades than I've been walking this 3rd rock from the Sun, and he aint much to look at (I'm sorry, that's not right, let me fix it, He aint much at which to look! Kidding Jim, you're beautiful babe)

What did gentleman Jim share with us?

He's competed in about 18 100 milers. He gave us all valuable tips on running and walking. He finished Western States last year when most of the rest of us Florida folks were dying on the vine. And get this:

He has done more than 150 Ultras and he was the first to certify doing an ultra race in each of our 50 states + the District of Columbia. Have I done a 150 anything? Probably had 150 pizzas. I know I've had 150 brewdoggies. But 150 races 31 miles or longer?.... Er, no! Hey Jim, I don't even like to drive that far! You ever heard that Jim? Probably not.


Most of you know that there are a couple of Marathon Clubs that will certify you for doing a marathon in every state, it's kind of cool. But Jim took that farther, Marathon? Not me, an Ultra in every state! When he did this, not all states had ultras, so he had to invent one in North Dakota and one in South Dakota. There are rules (I reckon he made up the rules since he was the first to certify his accomplishment) to doing this. The two he created, they had to be real races of longer than marathon length. They had to be open to the public. He had to publish the results. Jim did all these, oh, and the two races, he did them on consecutive days! Hey Jim, I don't even like to drive that far! (Shoot, I was just patting my own back for running 55 miles in two days, Jim went longer, in worser weather, and he well, he rocks!

Now, on the flip side of Jim, Scott Boe and I were talking about all of these clubs, and how you can get one to fit you and not have to work so hard. To avid Marathoners, the 50 marathons in 50 states is something most of us think about. I keep track (sort of) which states I have run a marathon in, and it does affect my scheduling a little bit. For me 50 marathons in 50 states is a lifetime goal. Some attack it like a pitbull on a porkchop. Dean Karno did his 50 marathos in 50 states in 50 days. He was the second to do that, but I don't remember the dude that thought of it and did it first, 'cause let's face it, he's not Dean. Even when Dean Copies you he steals your thunder (hey Dean, don't write another book, doooon't) Some people try to wipe out these 50 states in just a few years. Me, I'm strolling through it, but someday, I hope to do it.

Now, they've got these cheesey rules and exceptions. Get this, you can "join" after only 10 states. You can get your 50 states T-shirt after 25 states. What kind of crap is that? Can I get my Grand Slam Eagle after the second race in Vermont? Ship it on man, ship it on!

Still that's not as bad as this slacker club that has emerged. My friend, Imadeh Isnameup, has joined the 25 1/2 marathons in 25 states club. Good for Imadeh, already got 10 States, almost 1/2 way there! WTF? Hey, 1/2 marathon is a great and worthy goal. And I'm even down with a 1/2 marathon in 50 States, but 1/2 in 1/2 the states, er, who cares? Why not 10K in 10 States? Why not 5K in 5 states?

Or, Scott and I started this club, and you can join, just send $80 to me, and I'll get your club shirt and certificate right out. And you can sign up after only completing 1/2 (but send your money to me, not to Scott, he'd just waste it on his family, while I'll take good care of it 90% on Wine, Women, and Song, yes, I'll probably waste the other 10%). Here it is:

One Mile, One State, One Day!

You can do it! Now send me your $80!

5 comments:

Star said...

You do realize you're obsessed with Dean, right? I can help you for a small fee of...$80.

superdave524 said...

Do I have to complete the mile in one day?

Mr. Matt said...

Star, Hey, I'm not the one that said, wait a minute I guess I am, but you said it first! You give yourself $80, only then will I give you $80. Ha, got ya!

SD- You can get the T-Shirt after only 1/2 mile. Now you don't have to do the mile in one calander day, but it does have to be completed withing 24 hours. Sorry, that's the rule. You can start at 6 AM one day, but you have to be finished by 6 AM the next day. You can go to work in between if need be, But, and this is important! you have to enter the course at the same place you left the course. Just place a popsicle stick with your race number in the ground next to where you left the course so you'll know where to start again. If this goes well, you can join my new club, two states, two miles, two days (details to follow!)

Arlene said...

I don't think that your club is a good deal.

I paid $125 to Gasparilla and got THREE t-shirts, THREE medals, a polo shirt or something similar, a tile with a cork back, TWO beers, kid sized wheat wraps, salad, black bean and rice, bagel, cuban bread, and a Publix bag. I also got a coffee mug and a lucite plaque, but not everyone gets them.

And I only had to run 25.5 miles! Such a deal!

superdave524 said...

Mmmmm. Popsickles.