Sunday, February 10, 2008

Too Much Time on Our Hands

You know what I did yesterday? Nothing, that's what! Yeah, I had ideas, but I thought, nah, I'll go down to help out the Gasparilla Expo. So, I popped up at 5 AM, and went down there at 5:45 to help them processes the 15,000 runners to come through there on Saturday.

Well, I got there, and they didn't really want my help. The lady running the volunteers was barking at everbody like a rabid Old Yeller on Steroids. I'm asking myself, "Do I want to put up with this crap for several hours?" No I did not. I won't put up with that from a boss that pays, I'm darn sure not going to let someone that I'm volunteering for treat me like that.



Ok, so from there I went to the Tampa Bay Runners booth at the expo. I figured I could help out there for a few hours, visit with some friends, then run later. So, I saw that no one was at the booth, I plopped down, chatted with a few buds, then a friend came in, looked at me like I had two heads, griped about not having any help, griped about the sad state of affairs. Man was this joker a wet blanket. At this point I got up did a little shopping at the expo, went to bathroom, scared the heck out of myself when I saw this dude on the right in the mirror:



Yeah, I hadn't shaved, I had a cut on my lip from horsing around with Har-Har (was guarding against the right Paw, and he got me with the left!) I had on a ratty shirt, I hadn't showered yet that morning. Looking back, maybe all those folks at Gasparilla, well maybe they just saw some homeless cat looking for free samples, but I swear, I was there to work.

The nice thing about it was, I stolled on home, showered up, shaved, and kicked back and read.... all day long! Wow, you mean some people that don't spend all day running on Saturday have time to read? What a concept, after this Grand Slam, perhaps I'll join a book club, I could do that!

Nothing gold can stay, next week, back up to 75 miles.

10 comments:

Dr. Maguse said...

it's good to know i'm not the only person who takes a weekend off to read...

Chase Squires said...

Lazy Sunday, double-true!

Mr. Matt said...

Whoa now Mags! Weekend off? I think not! Just Saturday (course if I hadn't finished the book last night, well, then maybe....)

Dr. Maguse said...

well, what's one weekend?

The Professor said...

You should have stayed around and cheered us on...Tracy an I ran the 15K and 5K on Saturday and the marathon today. Road marathons suck...especially at the end of a 65-mile week. I should have hung with Woody and Jim and played in the woods instead.

Anonymous said...

You did not come to the right place on Saturday am. There WAS help needed elsewhere. And, I would not have barked at you.

superdave524 said...

...so, I went back and shave, but it just got worse. I cut myself, and was limping around all day.

Mr. Matt said...

Dear Just Me,
I know you wouldn't have yelled at me, but you didn't need to see me like that. I did indeed look like a bum, and that may have been what set LT off (doesn't take much though) Sorry, I really did want to help, but reading was fun!

And Prof, Road Marathons Suck! Gasparilla (which I think is a Great Marathon) last year was my last road marathon. At mile 22 I just had to stop because my feet hurt so bad. By mile 24 I was tearing up with pain (my legs were fine, my feet, not so much). Anyway as I limped in at 4:01, I said enoug is enoug and enoug is too muc !

Arlene said...

Well, AndyMan, I saw you on Saturday morning before I embarked on THREE journeys up and down blustery Bayshore Blvd. It was good to see your scruffy, bloody face at 7am. You kinda figured that LT would treat you like that since she treats EVERYBODY like that. And YOU, AndyMan, are a member of the majority there.

And then to be slapped in the scruffy, bloody face by the wet blanket that we call Mr President added to the injury that HarHar inflicted on your mug.

Face it (no pun intended), some people are just NOT morning people! But I was glad to see your scruffy, bloody face before I started on my 12.4 mile run. I was looking for ya on the 13.1 mile run on Sunday, but had to settle on the black and white bracelet.

And do you know what I did after these runs? READ! My eyes were the only parts of my body that didn't hurt!

Mr. Matt said...

Congratulation to Arlene! Age Group Champion, Grand Masters Champion, the People's Champion!

There may just be a post in this...